Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Making Floats

Last night I embarked on a journey involving stranded knitting and the Checks and Charms Hat and Mitten set from Knit Picks. If you recall, I bought this kit back in July after I made an announcement in June that I was going to learn how to cable, knit fair isle, and knit intarsia by New Year's Day.

I've managed to cable and mom's ornament was a small stranded exercise, so I decided that one of my next projects should be the Checks and Charms set. This is what I worked up last night. I like it, but I don't think that the green shows up very well with the light purple. So what I thought about doing was switching the light purple and the green. Any thoughts?

I'm worried that the same combination will create the same problem only reversed. This is my first sort-of-like-a-fair-isle project, and I'm not very practiced at putting colors together. I picked out these five as I thought that the resulting colors would look nice together, but I'm worried that the hues are too similar between the green and the light purple to have good contrast.

Harkening back to my list (ha! I love to use that word), I've completed two of the three tasks that I set for myself, but I still haven't tried/learned intarsia. I have an idea though. A really big idea, since I haven't tried any kind of intarsia. I want to design a Dutch bunny pillow. I'm thinking a purple-blue (something a bit more blue hued than lilac) background with a black and white Dutch rabbit. This involves finding good yarn with the colors that I'm looking for and my dear friends, this is where I need your help.

I'm not as concerned about yarn weight although something a bit heavier than sock yarn but not thicker than a worsted weight yarn is what I think I want. However, I want a wool yarn that I can find in a good black and a nice ivory-cream colored white that will have good definition when I create my intarsia pattern. I'm willing to negotiate my idea for the background color, so I'm really more concerned about the other two. I even thought about using naturally colored wools for the black and white, but I worried about finding a yarn for the background color. Ideas are greatly appreciated at this point.

I know that I won't make my goal of learning intarsia by New Year's Day, but I would like to learn it soon so that I can enter my Dutch pillow at the National Dutch Show Arts and Crafts competition at the end of April. Hugs to you all for your help. :)

3 comments:

At Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you switch the black for the green?

On your pillow maybe try a charcol grey?

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:44:00 AM, Blogger AR said...

Hmm? Good color questions. I get stuck on the what would look good with what color, and how they'd blend. Sorry, I'm no help. LOL

Happy Holidays to you and yours!!

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 11:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suck at color, too, but I am mightily impressed by your stranding thus far. I might switch the purple and green, though.

What weight would you use for the super-cute pillow? I have found that the Lopi (and Lite Lopi) black is quite black, and the Cascade 220 isn't shabby, either.

Can't wait to see it, and remember: if the intarsia sucks, you can always felt it a little. You meant to make a small pillow, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home