Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Socky Beginings

In the spirit of Socktoberfest, I thought I'd answer the sock questions from Lolly for y'all.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I think we all know about this. lol I failed at creating socks three times before I finally finished my first pair. I first attempted to make socks in August of 2004, but completed my first socks in May of 2006. I taught myself and miserably too. It took seeing all of the great socks that were on the blog sites I frequented that made me want to try again.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair of socks is the pair that I made in May for Monica. They haven't been worn much so they still look pretty good. As for the second pair, they weren't meant for Monica originally.

What would you have done differently?
I'll tell you what, I'd make a DAMN gauge swatch that's what and a good one, not the little bitty one I tried to get by with. ;)

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I haven't tried too many sock yarns yet. Of the ones I have tried, I have to say that the Sleeping Dragon Yarn is really nice.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
Double Points all the way baby! And five of them too. As for crochet, you can crochet socks?????

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Hmmmmm. I like the flap heel for some things like baffling the muggles at a rabbit show. For ease of knitting, I would go with the short row. I like not having to pick up stitches. What can I say? I'm a lazy ass knitter sometimes.

How many pairs have you made?
Let's see, two pairs of Monica socks, two pairs of Kelli socks, one pair Dad socks, one pair Mom socks, one pair Grandma socks = 7 pairs so far (did I miss any?)

I'm off to work and planing my next pair of socks. Need socks for the Nephew*.

*Josh is not really my nephew. He just calls me Aunt Kelli because his mom and I look somewhat alike and someone asked if I was her sister. (We are not related, at all. Not one little bit. We all got a kick out of it though.)

Thus I was dubbed Aunt Kelli by Josh and his sister, Jackie. It's fun being a "most favorite and beloved non-biological Aunt." :) Did I mention he has size 12 feet???

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home