Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Moving on Up!

Or down I guess. :) One sleeve and the neckband finished for the baby cardi for Jason and Theresa. Only one sleeve and the buttonbands to go. Plus I have the buttons picked out. What do you think? I thought that they were very appropriate for a boy baby with this yarn. They are super nice wood buttons.

And I'm curious, blogless Jayne, my friend, informed me that she uses a "button sandwich" method when making baby cardigans. She puts a flat clear button behind the fabric and the button she wants to use on top of the fabric. Then she stitches the buttons to each other with the fabric in between. This makes the button more stable and keeps the baby from chewing the button off. Does anyone else use this method?

AND if you haven't heard or clicked on the Dutchicans link, here's the scoop. Sarah and I are organizing a "virtual knitters baby shower" for Kristi of Red Dog Knits. She is having triplets. I mean, can you imagine having to knit for not one or two, but three babies??? If you can help out by knitting a baby item or two head on over to the Dutchicans blog and drop me a line. There are prizes too.

Also, does anyone know how to make a button? I want to make a "Dutchicans" button for those participating. Thanks for your help!

Knitter Bunny

4 comments:

At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:09:00 AM, Blogger AR said...

Cute, cute, cute! That's a good idea for sewing on buttons. Of course, I always try to avoid most kinds of sewing! LOL

 
At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this button sandwich idea but it does sound like a good one!

 
At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:06:00 PM, Blogger Dana said...

I have also employed the "button sandwich" method. It depends on the fabric, it's not necessary for all kinds, but I would highly recommend it for knits. As I am stitching the buttons on, I also put a straight pin thru the first stitch and continue to stitch until secure. I tie it off and pull the pin out, which gives the button a little wiggle room, which makes it easier to pass thru the button hole. Hope that came out clear!

Nice job on the sweater!

 
At Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:37:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

I, too, use the button sandwich, but usually on tailored wools, not sweaters. Thanks for the reminder. I do ususally use a toothpick instead of a pin (less likely to stab myself). As for the button my first response was, "Sure! Just get a bone ring in the size button you need and buttonhole stitch around the outside then......Oh! you meant a computer button."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home