Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ina Carleen Norfleet Fairchild

I know that several of the other people for the Day of the Dead KAL have posted about what they are going to do for the KAL. Kristi is making small stuffed animals in memory of three of her grandparents. Terri and Katherine are both making dolls for their DOTD KALs in memory of lost loved ones. I've been struggling with what I want to do. I never knew my maternal grandmother. She died when my mom was in her 20's and before my parents were married. I would like to connect to her in some way.

I think that I would like to design and knit a shawl in memory of my grandma Fairchild. She loved antiques, pictures, pecan pie, strawberry waffles, her chihuahua Chico, and jewelry. She traveled extensively with my grandfather and really loved spending time with my mom. She wasn't a particularly crafty person, she wasn't particularly artsy, but she loved pretty things whether it was a wildflower or a marble topped dresser.

My best memory of my grandma Fairchild is a picture of her in a red shirt standing next to a large bush with flowers on it. She looked so happy in that picture.

For this knit-a-long in memory of my grandmother, Ina Carleen Norfleet Fairchild, who I never knew, I will be designing a shawl, in lace, with things that remind me of her.

When I have a chance I will get a picture from home and post to the blog.

2 comments:

At Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:30:00 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I found you! I met you at the YH thing in AA. I talked to you about rabbits and showed you the shawl I'm knitting from Angora Rabbit and Silk yarn (thread). I was sorry when I left that I didn't get your address or anything - but here you are. Now added to my long list of favorites.

 
At Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelli- your shawl memory will stand the test of time for your Grandmother Fairchild...she would have appreciated a phone call, too, I think from you while you were working on your weaving in the A&D bldg...With every stitch you make, simply consider all she was about, and how much like her you must be. There's strong genetics in the Fairchild women, I'm certain. Must go back and read more back-issues of the Knitter Bunny! :-) jayne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home